Whether you are a fitness expert or someone who is just started working out, you may tend to over do it sometimes. Are you looking at a workout for weight loss, body building or weight training? It is important that you approach your exercise routine with a certain amount of thought and planning. Here are 5 things to keep in mind when working out.
- Fitness Level: It is vital that you take your current fitness level into consideration and accordingly choose a workout. Give your body and self time to adjust to your workout and then slowly increase it in difficulty. Don’t expect wonders in a few days. Instead maintain a fitness journal that will give you realistic feedback of what your workout is achieving for you. It will also provide you the satisfaction of knowing how much you have worked out on your cardio gym equipment or learnt in your yoga or pilates class. Don’t forget to warm up and do stretch exercises before you begin exercising. Also conclude your workout with stretch exercises that help cool your body.
- Eat Well: According to your workout schedule you need to ensure that you eat something nutritious some time before workout. If you workout early in the morning then don’t exercise empty stomach as most of the carbohydrates you consumed for dinner no longer provide the body energy. Preferably opt for a carbohydrate and protein combination. Also after a workout too, you need to eat something to replenish your body.
- Hydrate Your Body: If you don’t drink adequate water and other fluids and follow an intensive body building or weight training session you risk dehydration. The body needs time to hydrate itself. And so it is important to drink water at regular intervals in the day. If you don’t have time to eat a snack before your workout or pilates class, opt for a sports drink that is easily digested and also ensures that the electrolyte balance in your body is maintained.
- Don’t Be Rigid: Opt for a workout routine that combines exercise on cardio gym equipment as well as strength training. Rather than workout everyday on your cardio gym equipment such as your treadmill or step climber, vary your routine to include cardio gym exercises as well as other exercise. Join a pilates class or a yoga class to give your body a complete workout. Also if you find that you are unable to keep to your workout routine be flexible enough to adjust it.
- Exercise When You Can: Don’t limit your fitness routine to your gym but in fact make it an integral part of your life. Find opportunities to keep your body exercised and well toned. Do some stretching exercises and breathing exercises at work. Take a walk during your lunch time and walk or cycle to work, if it is possible. Investing in cardio gym equipment is a great way to get some exercise at the end of the day as you watch television or listen to music at home.